Our History

St Mary’s is a Catholic primary school.  It caters for both boys and girls from New Entrants to Year Eight.
The students come mainly from the township of Mosgiel, although a number travel by bus from outlying areas on the Taieri Plains.

The school was started in 1882 by two lay women Katherine and Alice McLachlan. The Sisters of Mercy took charge of the school in 1889.

Throughout its history, the emphasis has been on learning and creating an inclusive environment. This holds true for today, where the support and dedication of the school community and staff is as strong today as it was in 1882.

During this time the school has been through a number of changes, the last major change was at the beginning of this year when we relocated to 87 Church Street.